Thursday, February 9

More Netflix

The Legend of Zorro Adventure Zorro must save the day...again. Ok, I admit it. I liked the first one...so I pretty much disregarded all of the bad reviews. I didn't think the critics liked the first one either. The movie started off terribly slow...so slow that I actually stopped watching it and came back to it later. This is something I don't generally do. If I start a movie I typically finish it (about 98% of them, regardless of how bad they are) and I finish it in a single sitting. I just couldn't do it with this one. When I picked it up again later (about 50 minutes into it) Cori was with me. She didn't feel like she had missed a thing, and she was pretty much right. I caught her up in less than a minute. Some very, very cheesy (read "stupid") bits with Zorro and his horse...beautiful horse...that were pretty much useless, certainly not funny. Overall I gave it a 3. It was ok. If you want a brain dead movie, this would be acceptable.

Wedding Crashers Comedy Two guys who, well, crash weddings. Good food, drinks, pick up women...until one of them falls for one. Of course it can't end happily ever after half-way into the movie, because that would make for a really short movie! Fiasco happens, blah blah.....happily ever after. Why did I rent this? No idea. I knew I wasn't going to like it, but did I listen to myself? Noooo. 1 star, just because Netflix makes you give them something.

Hustle and Flow Drama A pimp wants to make it as a rapper. While the plot is pretty basic, the movie isn't. Good actors/characters. Good song...my friend Lisa and I were singing along to It's Hard Out There for a Pimp...which, btw, was nominated for an Oscar. If the plot sounds even the least bit interesting to you, rent it! 4 stars.

Just One Time Independent Guy and girl are engaged, but before getting married guy wants to have a 3-way with another woman...he doesn't want to break their vows after marriage, so they can't do it then. Girl agrees, but on one condition: Guy must agree to a 3-way also, but with a man. Ha! Interesting turn, but the movie was just ok. I kept hoping for a real twist. Like girl realizes, hmm...see ya and leaves him for the other woman (that'd teach him). Or maybe even guy realizes, uh-oh, I'm gay. Something different. But no. No different...no 3 way...but really no different. Again, blah blah blah....happily ever after.

Yesterday Foreign An African woman raising a daughter in a small village while the husband is away earning a living (and apparently fooling around) is diagnosed with HIV. Her only wish, to live long enough to see her daughter go to school. I don't want to give too much away, but this is a very powerful movie. I'd highly recommend it. 4 stars (only because I can't give it 4.5 on Netflix).

My Date With Drew Documentary Guy with a serious crush on Drew Barrymore decides to do a documentary and attempt to get a date with her. I was pleasantly surprised with this one. Wasn't sure at first if I could handle an entire movie about this, but I did! I won't give away the ending, but if you're interested email me. Gave it 4 stars.

Dark Water Thriller A newly single mom struggling to make ends meet moves to a dilapidated apartment with a serious leak and some other "issues". I totally did not expect the ending. I was a little scared (Cori was not), but no blood and gore. I gave it 3 stars. It was ok.

The Constant Gardener Thriller A man's wife is murdered in Nairobi, he takes matters into his own hands and risks his life to find out what happend. It was an interesting concept and gives you some food for thought. 3 stars. It was ok, but a bit long/slow...

Red Eye Thriller A fellow passenger seeming to be a stranger has actually targeted a woman as key in his plot to murder an executive in Homeland Security. I had much higher hopes for this movie. Categorized as a thriller, there wasn't a lot thrilling to it. It was ok, 3 stars. There are better thrillers out there. If you've seen them all, then maybe consider this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home