Friday, November 4

Netflix Update

Listed, again, in viewing order, not in order of preference.

The Butterfly French with subtitles Unlikely friendship between a young girl befriends an elderly neighbor and joins him on his quest for a very special butterfly. Sappy sweet, but in a good way. The young actress would give Dakota Fanning a run for her money :0) I'd recommend this one.

Desperate Housewives (The whole first season) I don't know why I never started watching this series when it first came out. For whatever reason it didn't interest me, but there must be some reason it's one of the top shows so I decided to check it out (I don't get out much right now, remember?). Damn it, I'm hooked. I was hooked from the first episode. Thank goodness Apple is selling season 2 so I can get caught up this year.

Mad Hot Ballroom Documentary Ballroom dancing taught in the public schools of New York. It was nice to hear that this is offered, giving an opportunity to kids that might not otherwise have the chance. The music was good. I know a lot of people really loved this movie, but I just wasn't drawn in. I can't even say for sure why I wasn't, but others might enjoy it.

Big Eden A gay artist goes back to his (small) hometown to take care of his dying grandfather. It was a cute movie, but I really have a hard time buying that this town is SO damn gay friendly. However there do seem to be an abnormally large number of gays in the area...maybe it's P-town in disguise? I don't know...if you can suspend reality for a while it was ok.


Eternal Really, it doesn't matter what this is about...just...just don't.

Saving Face A young woman in a traditional Chinese family who also happens to be a lesbian, dealing with her mother unexpectedly moving in at the same time she starts a new romance. Another cute movie. The ending, like Big Eden, needs a little suspension of reality...but after all it is a movie.

Devil's Playground Documentary At the age of 16, young Amish enter a period of "Rumspringa" in which they can enter the "English world" (otherwise known as the Devil's Playground). They can experiment with drinking, drugs, owning cars (oooooo). At the end they must decide to commit to the church for good (or not). It was actually very, very interesting. Recommended.

Lackawanna Blues An HBO movie based on the true story of Nanny. A woman who opens her house and heart to anyone who needs it. A heartwarming story, showing that I LOVED this movie. Highly recommended.

Bonjour Monsieur Shlomi Hebrew with subtitles Shlomi is a young man who is the primary caretaker of his family (and a wonderful cook). However in school he has a lot of trouble (many think he's not the brightest bulb). Turns out they are very wrong. I really liked this movie (as did Cori) and highly recommend it.

Me and You and Everyone We Know Wow...uhm...yeah...a bit unusual love story. At first, I wasn't sure I was even going to get through it. We stuck it out and it turned out to be ok. I wouldn't say this is a movie for all, but if odd quirkiness is good for you give it a try.

Beauty Shop What can I say? I like Queen Latifah...this character appeared in the Barbershop movies (which I liked). In this spinoff, her character moves to New York because her daughter has gotten into a performing arts school. Starting off working for a "trendy" stylist wasn't working for her, so she decides to purchase a beauty shop and make some changes. It was just ok. Not great, not terrible. If there isn't anything else available you might consider this (then again, you might not).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home