Thursday, September 8

The Brothers Grimm

Well, you had a sense from the trailer that this wasn't a happy fairy tale kind of story, but I had no idea just how dark it was going to be. Now I like dark...but this was a convoluted mess.

It felt sort of like leftover night...the kind where you just decide to make a casserole out of a full week's worth of leftovers. A little bit of this, a little bit of that...oh, and let's throw this in just because we have it. There were some cool, but very very very (did I say VERY) creepy effects. But there was also some stuff that just wasn't necessary. Do I need to know that one character is such a klutz that he'll accidentally kick a kitten into the blade of a torture device? Uhm, I'd go with no on that one. It didn't help with what little "character development" was going on, didn't really play a part in the scene. Or that the forest can cut a man in half? No, it also doesn't really make a difference in the story either way. The forest is BAD...I got that part, thanks.

And what's with the little menage stuff with the brothers and the local cursed woman? So much for "love's true kiss". Just a bit too creepy.

I can't say that I hated it, but I certainly won't recommend it to anyone. I'd see what else is showing before you decide to go to this. If you do go, go to a matinee...the cheapest one you can find.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home