Friday, December 30

This week on Netflix

This was actually a week of decent movies. In no particular order:

Four Brothers Drama Four adopted brothers return home for their mother's funeral and discover that she may have been murdered. Seeking revenge, they search out their mother's killer(s). Well cast. Bit on the violent side. I wouldn't say this is high on serious plot, but isn't a total waste of time. Since there are no "halves" on Netflix I rounded it up to a 4 out of 5.

Lagaan Indian, Drama Set in the 1890s in India, villagers must pay taxes to the English. One particular village falls victim to an egotistical British commander who first doubles their taxes, then offers a challenge. Beat the British solidiers in a game of cricket and pay no taxes for 3 years...or pay triple taxes. Let me warn you that this movie is 3 hrs, 45 minutes. That was not a typo. The last roughly 1hr 20 minutes was nothing but the cricket match (which was set to be played for 3 days). I have to admit, I did fast forward thru some of the song/dance numbers (or at least partially). But all in all, this was a good film. It actually didn't seem too terribly long. At first I was a bit surprised that the game would take up so much time, but in the end I was cheering on the villagers and learned a few things about Cricket in the process. Even with the length I would give it 4 of 5.


The Island Sci-fi Adventure Human clones meant for spare parts hope to win a trip to "The Island", but 2 find out that things aren't as they appear and escape...attempting to tell the world. To be honest, I wasn't all that interested in this movie when it was in the theaters. Not sure why, but it just didn't draw me in enough. I actually really liked this one, giving it 4 out of 5 stars. It is very reminiscent of other films out there (and it is itself actually a remake), but holds it's own. Definitely a good rental.


The Exorcism of Emily Rose "Horror" Based on a true story this movie chronicles the trial a Catholic priest charged with negligence resulting in the death of Emily Rose (a college student believed to be possessed by 6 demons). Thru court room scenes, the lawyer defending the priest and flash backs you get a glimpse of the last few months of Emily Rose's life. I am not sure I would classify this as horror (that was the Netflix classification), but maybe a thriller or drama instead. I do have one quick commentary here: I find it interesting that the prosecting attorney (who described himself as a spiritual man who believed only the facts) would find it so easy to believe in God, but would scoff at the idea of demons. Can you really believe in God and angels, but not believe in the devil and demons?

Downfall German, Drama This drama is based on the documentary of Traudl Junge, one of Hitler's secretary's, focuses on the last few days in Hitler's bunker. This certainly isn't your typical war movie, taking you into a different perspective. I did read that it was an attempt to "humanize" Hitler. I don't think I would go so far as saying that. Charismatic, yes...he would have had to be that to commit the attrocities that he did with such loyal followers behind him...although in the end that (for the most part) came crumbling down around him. Interesting for a different angle. I gave it 3 out of 5. I wasn't blown away by it, but would recommend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home