Sunday, July 17

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Finally...finally...we have broken the run of mediocre movies!!

I didn't really care much for Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, not at all.

However I actually really like Johnny Depp and I seem to really like Tim Burton's work as well. When I first heard about the movie I thought. Hmmm, maybe...but after seeing the trailer for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory I had very low expectations. Johnny seemed way over the top (even for him). The visuals intrigued me, though, and a glowing review on the radio made me decide to take a chance.

I am sooooo glad I did. What a wonderful, yet oh so twisted movie. Some examples:

In one scene, Charlie takes them into a "room" in the factory. With a chocolate river and waterfalls, candy apple trees...true to Tim Burton's style, the visual effects are amazing and imaginative. He describes the contents of the room:
"Everything here is eatable. I'm eatable, but that my children is called cannibalism and it is frowned upon in most societies."

I have decided not to tell you the details of two of my favorite scenes in the event that you go see it...which you really, really should. What I will tell you is that one involves a cow, another squirrels.

Johnny Depp was by no means over the top. I think he did it perfectly (the trailer didn't do him justice). Each member of the cast were so well suited to their roles. You almost didn't want the movie to end.

Hilarious, twisted, imaginative. I highly recommend it, but don't wait until it comes out on DVD. Treat yourself to a movie out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home